Mike Minder
Follow Mike Minder on:
  • Home
  • Mike Minder
  • Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976
    • Ohio Valley History Blog

200 WOUNDED SOLDIERS ARRIVE WITHOUT WARNING; ARMY SEIZES ENTIRE WHEELING HOSPITAL: Sisters of St. Joseph Surrender Their Beds as Orphans Are Sent to Wheeling Island — Facility Soon Designated U.S. Army General Hospital (July 26, 1864)

7/25/2026

0 Comments

 
Today in Wheeling History: July 26—Wheeling Hospital fully commandeered as a U.S. Army General Hospital after 200 wounded soldiers arrive unexpectedly (1864)
 
Wheeling Hospital, founded in 1850 by Bishop Richard V. Whelan and Dr. Simon Hullihen, was first located in a building near the Visitation Nuns convent before Bishop Whelan purchased the Metcalf property at 110 15th Street in 1853, when six Sisters of St. Joseph arrived from Missouri as nurses. In 1856, the hospital outgrew that building and moved to the former Michael Sweeney mansion in North Wheeling, its home for the next 119 years. The hospital first came under military use after the Battle of Gettysburg, when the U.S. Army rented one wing for sick and wounded soldiers. As casualties mounted in spring 1864 from the Battle of the Wilderness and Sigel's Shenandoah Valley campaign, the Army designated the entire institution a "post hospital," with Dr. John Kirker in charge. Even so, the sisters and orphans continued using much of the building until July 26, 1864, when roughly 200 additional wounded soldiers arrived unexpectedly, forcing the Army to commandeer the entire building. The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer reported the aftermath two days later, on July 28, 1864, noting Capt. Over's order authorizing Dr. Kirker to take charge of "the whole of the North Wheeling Hospital for government use." The hospital was officially a U.S. Army General Hospital from November 1864 through June 1865. Afterward, the Sweeney mansion was enlarged, growing to 225 beds by 1914, before being rebuilt in 1933 and relocating to Medical Park in 1975.
 
To learn more: Wheeling Daily Intelligencer - North Wheeling Hospital commandeered (https://tinyurl.com/5d4mtkp7), Wheeling Daily Intelligencer - The Atheneum (https://tinyurl.com/5d4mtkp7), Ohio County Public Library – Wheeling Hospital History (https://tinyurl.com/39kk2vd6), Ohio County Public Library - Dr. John Frissell (https://tinyurl.com/mr3s77pe), Historical Marker Database - Wheeling Hospital Civil War marker (https://tinyurl.com/2x4ydeas), Historical Marker Database - Wheeling Hospital (https://tinyurl.com/33wfaasm), WVU – Post/Central Hospital, Wheeling, WV Civil War Records (https://tinyurl.com/2z5jprzw), Archiving Wheeling - The Dr. John Frissell Collection (https://tinyurl.com/3vucp2u9), Wikipedia - Ewald Over (https://tinyurl.com/ypnv4y3z), Grokipedia - Ewald Over (https://tinyurl.com/4wtu8x4k), Flickr - Ohio County Public Library - Wheeling Hospital (https://tinyurl.com/72zf5yte), Ohio County Public Library - Wheeling Hospital, Wheeling Daily Intelligencer Article, November 26, 1891 (https://tinyurl.com/2s3h6pdw), Ohio County Public Library - Wheeling Hospital: North Wheeling Hospital, 1875 (https://tinyurl.com/4rk3mkfj)
 
Photo credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV; The Historical Marker Database, Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, Wikimedia Commons, WVU Medicine - Wheeling Hospital
0 Comments



Leave a Reply.

    Mike Minder

    Mike Minder was born and raised in Wheeling, West Virginia. He is the author of Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976.

    Archives

    June 2026
    May 2026
    April 2026
    March 2026
    February 2026
    January 2026
    December 2025
    November 2025
    October 2025
    September 2025
    August 2025
    July 2025
    June 2025
    May 2025
    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012

    Categories

    All
    1908
    Anthony Zambito
    Anti-Gambling Bill
    Arch Riley
    Casino
    Earl Corkran
    Edward Weith
    Eric Halverson
    Erics Steak House258a865f0a
    Gambling
    Gambling Devices
    Gambling Raids
    Gambling Stamp
    Gambling Stamps
    Henry Schmulbach
    Horserace
    Horse Racing
    Mozart Park
    October 252749dd659a51
    Ohio County
    Schmulbach
    Today-in-wheeling-history
    Tony Zambito
    West Virginia
    Wheeling
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History0d9acbcb79
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History To 197650ca476ed4
    Wheeling Park
    Wheeling Police
    Wheeling Repository
    Wheelings Gambling History60ad5e7d33
    Zambito

    RSS Feed

Proudly powered by Weebly