On February 15, 2024, the Wheeling Fire Department worked its final 24-hour shift at its longtime headquarters inside the lower level of the Center Wheeling Parking Garage at 2126 Market St. The department had operated from that location since 1978, when Chief Cliff Sligar oversaw the transition from the department's previous Central Station at 17th and Eoff streets — the building that today houses the Greater Wheeling Soup Kitchen.
For the bittersweet occasion, Fire Chief Jim Blazier was joined by former chiefs Larry Helms (2007–2021) and Steve Johnston (1995–2007), along with Sherry Sligar, widow of former Chief Cliff Sligar (1971–1995). The group toured the old offices, shared meals and memories, and posed for photographs at the chief's desk — a piece of furniture dating to 1978 that was retired rather than relocated. In keeping with tradition, each outgoing chief had left a dollar bill in the desk as a symbolic gesture of passing the torch; Blazier still holds the bill left during the 1970s.
Demolition of the parking garage began March 4, 2024. In the interim, department personnel and equipment were dispersed to the North Wheeling and Wheeling Island stations, while administrative staff moved to the former Wheeling Police headquarters in the City-County Building. The new $9 million, 24,860-square-foot Wheeling Fire Department Headquarters at 1700 Wood St. in East Wheeling officially opened September 17, 2025.
To learn more: Wheeling Fire Department (https://tinyurl.com/yc2p8sbr) (https://tinyurl.com/mr254p49), Wheeling Intelligencer (https://tinyurl.com/37taevfk) (https://tinyurl.com/3cswpnr5)
Photo credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV; Wheeling Fire Department, Wheeling Intelligencer, Google Maps
























































RSS Feed