Mike Minder
Follow Mike Minder on:
  • Home
  • Mike Minder
  • Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976
    • Ohio Valley History Blog

Ground Broken for New Elm Grove Methodist Church on Kruger Street (August 4, 1911)

8/3/2026

0 Comments

 
Today in Wheeling History: August 4 — Ground is broken for a new brick Elm Grove Methodist church building on Kruger Street (1911). 
 
Elm Grove United Methodist Church, at 125 Kruger Street in Wheeling’s Elm Grove neighborhood, traces its beginnings to 1896, when Rev. Kelly led a small Methodist Mission meeting in Hands Hall above a store. Services moved among homes, schools, and rented halls, showing the determination of a modest but growing congregation. In 1906, the church purchased two lots for $1,400, securing the site that still anchors the congregation. A plain wooden “Tabernacle Church” was built in 1908 and dedicated on September 2, 1910, but rapid growth soon demanded a more substantial building. Ground was broken for a new brick church on August 4, 1911, and the cornerstone—containing a Bible, New Testament, Wheeling Intelligencer copy, and member names—was laid on October 22, 1911. The sanctuary was dedicated on July 21, 1912, and Elm Grove received a full “station appointment” with its own pastor. Membership climbed to 536 by 1929 and surpassed 1,000 by the early 1960s. A parsonage was purchased on Marshall Avenue in 1921, later replaced by a new parsonage on Hurst Avenue in 1966. The sanctuary was renovated in 1936 and 1973, and a major educational wing was dedicated on January 25, 1959, followed by Newmeyer Hall and new Sunday School rooms in 1984. Youth ministries, including Epworth League and a Boy Scout troop organized in 1913, and ongoing outreach such as food assistance and community meals, continue to define Elm Grove’s mission.
 
To learn more: Ohio County Public Library – "Elm Grove United Methodist Church: 100 Years of Service 1896–1996" (https://tinyurl.com/mr7px738), Elm Grove United Methodist Church (https://tinyurl.com/4njdp74c), Facebook - Elm Grove United Methodist Church (https://tinyurl.com/2sn63ymr)
 
Photo credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV; eBay
0 Comments



Leave a Reply.

    Mike Minder

    Mike Minder was born and raised in Wheeling, West Virginia. He is the author of Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976.

    Archives

    June 2026
    May 2026
    April 2026
    March 2026
    February 2026
    January 2026
    December 2025
    November 2025
    October 2025
    September 2025
    August 2025
    July 2025
    June 2025
    May 2025
    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012

    Categories

    All
    1908
    Anthony Zambito
    Anti-Gambling Bill
    Arch Riley
    Casino
    Earl Corkran
    Edward Weith
    Eric Halverson
    Erics Steak House258a865f0a
    Gambling
    Gambling Devices
    Gambling Raids
    Gambling Stamp
    Gambling Stamps
    Henry Schmulbach
    Horserace
    Horse Racing
    Mozart Park
    October 252749dd659a51
    Ohio County
    Schmulbach
    Today-in-wheeling-history
    Tony Zambito
    West Virginia
    Wheeling
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History0d9acbcb79
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History To 197650ca476ed4
    Wheeling Park
    Wheeling Police
    Wheeling Repository
    Wheelings Gambling History60ad5e7d33
    Zambito

    RSS Feed

Proudly powered by Weebly