Madison School’s story reflects both the growth of Wheeling Island and the city’s evolving public school system. Before Island children had a building of their own, they attended the Third Ward (Clay) School and later the Second Ward School on 10th Street, which ultimately became Lincoln School for Black students. In 1862, Wheeling’s Board of Education purchased a site on the Island for $275, but the first classes there still met in the upper story of the Island Market House beginning in 1864. A dedicated two-story school was finally erected at the corner of Maryland and North York Streets at a cost of $6,483.54 and opened on January 10, 1866, enrolling about 150 pupils from the surrounding neighborhood.
As the Island population grew, the original structure was eventually replaced. In 1916, a new Madison School designed by prominent Wheeling architect Frederic F. Faris rose on Zane Street between North Broadway and North York, a monumental cream-brick Classical Revival building that still commands the approach to the Island from Interstate 70. Over time, Madison served generations of Island families as a ward school within Wheeling’s public system, part of a network that included Washington, Webster, Centre, Clay, Ritchie, and Union schools across the city. The school’s long history marks more than a century and a half of neighborhood-based public education on Wheeling Island.
To learn more: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV (https://tinyurl.com/kabypcda) (https://tinyurl.com/5exbhdfe); Historic Wheeling (https://tinyurl.com/2zjz4aey), SAH Archipedia (https://tinyurl.com/53cuajfn), Wheeling Daily Intelligencer (https://tinyurl.com/y4us23ze)
Photo credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV









RSS Feed