Mike Minder
Follow Mike Minder on:
  • Home
  • Mike Minder
  • Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976
    • Ohio Valley History Blog

Wheeling’s Oldest Bridge Earns National Recognition: Elm Grove Stone Arch Bridge Listed on Historic Register (August 21, 1981)

8/20/2025

0 Comments

 
​Today in Wheeling History: August 21—Elm Grove Stone Arch Bridge added to the National Register of Historic Places (1981).
 
The Elm Grove Stone Arch Bridge, also known as the Monument Place Bridge, is the oldest surviving bridge in West Virginia. Built in 1817 by Colonel Moses Shepherd, the bridge spans Little Wheeling Creek in the Elm Grove neighborhood and carries U.S. Route 40, formerly the National Road. Constructed from native limestone, the three-span elliptical arch bridge measures 208 feet in length and features a distinctive “humpback” profile. It was built near Shepherd’s estate, Monument Place, and a nearby monument honoring Henry Clay, who helped route the National Road through Wheeling.
 
The bridge underwent structural changes in 1931 and 1953, but its most extensive renovation occurred in 2024. The West Virginia Division of Highways removed deteriorated pavement and sidewalks, repaired the spandrel walls and arch barrels, and reconstructed the concrete sidewalks and railings. Approximately 80 replacement stones were provided by the City of Wheeling, and all original, non-deteriorated stones were preserved. A clear sealant was applied to protect the structure from future damage. The $3.8 million project, completed in November 2024, restored both the bridge’s integrity and its historic character.
 
This enduring structure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 21, 1981, continues to connect generations to Wheeling’s early infrastructure and national legacy.
 
To learn more: Ohio County Public Library – Elm Grove Bridge (https://tinyurl.com/386ykc69), WVDOH – Monument Place Bridge Renovation Announcement (https://tinyurl.com/mcuh8cyd), The Intelligencer – Monument Place Bridge Project (https://tinyurl.com/mszj54pf), Wikipedia – Elm Grove Stone Arch Bridge (https://tinyurl.com/4wdt8pjf), YouTube – Historic National Road: Elm Grove Stone Bridge (https://tinyurl.com/yh64sy7m)
 
Photo credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV, Wikimedia Commons
0 Comments



Leave a Reply.

    Mike Minder

    Mike Minder was born and raised in Wheeling, West Virginia. He is the author of Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976.

    Archives

    June 2026
    May 2026
    April 2026
    March 2026
    February 2026
    January 2026
    December 2025
    November 2025
    October 2025
    September 2025
    August 2025
    July 2025
    June 2025
    May 2025
    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012

    Categories

    All
    1908
    Anthony Zambito
    Anti-Gambling Bill
    Arch Riley
    Casino
    Earl Corkran
    Edward Weith
    Eric Halverson
    Erics Steak House258a865f0a
    Gambling
    Gambling Devices
    Gambling Raids
    Gambling Stamp
    Gambling Stamps
    Henry Schmulbach
    Horserace
    Horse Racing
    Mozart Park
    October 252749dd659a51
    Ohio County
    Schmulbach
    Today-in-wheeling-history
    Tony Zambito
    West Virginia
    Wheeling
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History0d9acbcb79
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History To 197650ca476ed4
    Wheeling Park
    Wheeling Police
    Wheeling Repository
    Wheelings Gambling History60ad5e7d33
    Zambito

    RSS Feed

Proudly powered by Weebly