The Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) in Wheeling formally took shape on April 9, 1906, when local women gathered to adopt a constitution and elect a 30‑member Board of Directors, signaling a new era of organized support for women in the city. Temporary chairperson Mrs. John B. Garden helped guide the founding meeting, and Mrs. Robert J. Reed became the first organizing president, joined by prominent early leaders such as Mrs. E.A. Hildreth and Miss Emily Shephard.
In January 1907, the association rented a house at 1207 Chapline Street, opening it to the public that June as a social, educational, and religious center for young women working or studying in Wheeling. Rapid growth led to a move in 1908 to the Schenk Building at 1130 Market Street. By 1913, the YWCA launched an ambitious building campaign, and architect Edward Bates Franzheim designed a new facility at 11th and Chapline Streets, completed in 1915 as both administration building and residence hall.
In 1921, the Blue Triangle Branch was created as a segregated branch for African American women and girls, offering leadership training, recreation, and community support until full integration in 1956. Over time, YWCA Wheeling’s mission expanded from clubwork and residence services to a broad agenda of racial justice, anti‑violence work, housing, and advocacy, continuing its original 1906 commitment to empower women and strengthen community life.
To learn more: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling, WV (https://tinyurl.com/59fn38dz); Wheeling YWCA (https://tinyurl.com/49s4a7wu)
Photo credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV; Google Maps

















































RSS Feed