Mike Minder
Follow Mike Minder on:
  • Home
  • Mike Minder
  • Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976
    • Ohio Valley History Blog

1880: Wheeling Library on the Brink of Closure

1/30/2024

0 Comments

 
Today in Wheeling History: January 31--The "Wheeling Intelligencer" reported the Wheeling Library Association, established in 1859 as a subscription library, faced possible closure in 1880 without increased financial support from stockholders (1880).
 
The Ohio County Public Library originated from earlier subscription libraries in Wheeling, West Virginia, starting with the Wheeling Library Company in 1807. However, in 1880, the Wheeling Library Association’s library faced difficulties sustaining itself, with expenses exceeding revenues. Despite reducing staff salaries and acquisitions, by 1880, its future seemed uncertain without increased support. It reopened on October 12, 1882, as the free Wheeling Public Library, initially located over R.J. Smyth's grocery at 14th and Market Streets. It moved to the Masonic Temple (1894-1907) on Chapline Street, then the Schmulbach Building (1907-1910) at 12th and Market Streets, before relocating to the Delaplaine dry goods house on Main Street (1910-1911). In January 1911, it moved into a dedicated building at 2100 Market Street designed by Charles W. Bates. This served as the main library until May 1973, when the library moved to its current location at 52 16th Street. The library pioneered services like West Virginia's first bookmobile in 1935. Legislation in 1933 officially established the Ohio County Public Library as its own entity with a board of trustees, cementing its status as the state's oldest tax-supported public library.
 
To learn more: (http://tinyurl.com/3x9t2npc) (http://tinyurl.com/w4td5faf) (http://tinyurl.com/yv7ebemt) (http://tinyurl.com/mr26uxjy) (http://tinyurl.com/2mw2ayza) (http://tinyurl.com/2295ssfp)
 
Photo Credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV
Picture
0 Comments



Leave a Reply.

    Mike Minder

    Mike Minder was born and raised in Wheeling, West Virginia. He is the author of Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976.

    Archives

    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012

    Categories

    All
    1908
    Anthony Zambito
    Anti-Gambling Bill
    Arch Riley
    Casino
    Earl Corkran
    Edward Weith
    Eric Halverson
    Erics Steak House258a865f0a
    Gambling
    Gambling Devices
    Gambling Raids
    Gambling Stamp
    Gambling Stamps
    Henry Schmulbach
    Horserace
    Horse Racing
    Mozart Park
    October 252749dd659a51
    Ohio County
    Schmulbach
    Today-in-wheeling-history
    Tony Zambito
    West Virginia
    Wheeling
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History0d9acbcb79
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History To 197650ca476ed4
    Wheeling Park
    Wheeling Police
    Wheeling Repository
    Wheelings Gambling History60ad5e7d33
    Zambito

    RSS Feed

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.