On November 21, 1954, Archbishop John J. Swint presided over the cornerstone laying ceremony for the new classroom building at Wheeling University, assisted by Chancellor Frederick W. Schwertz and College President Rev. Lawrence R. McHugh S.J. The ceremony, held before over 2,000 people, also included speeches by Rev. Daniel M. Kirwin, superintendent of diocesan schools, who predicted the college would become a cornerstone of truth, culture and morality in Wheeling, and Rev. Stephen F. McNamee S.J., vice-provincial of the Maryland Province of Jesuits, expressing appreciation for the opportunity to operate the first Catholic college in West Virginia. Other attendees included Bishop Thomas Wade, Wheeling Mayor Charles J. Schuck, the Knights of Columbus honor guard, and musical performances by the Central Catholic High School band and St. Joseph's Academy glee club. The event laid the cornerstone for the classroom building, the largest of five structures being constructed for the opening of Wheeling College to male and female freshmen in September 1955.
Donahue Hall derives its name from Bishop Patrick J. Donahue, the third bishop of the Wheeling diocese. The legacy bequeathed to Donahue was later employed to fund the construction of Wheeling College.
To learn more: (https://tinyurl.com/46bw65py) (https://rb.gy/b8s9rh) (https://rb.gy/92b45l)
Photo Credits: WVU Archives, Wikipedia