A major fire occurred on November 3, 1892 at the furniture store of G. Mendel & Co. in Wheeling, West Virginia. The fire started around 5pm when a bale of husks caught fire in the third floor storage area. It quickly spread through the adjoining buildings at 1120-1124 Main Street. The total loss from fire and water damage was estimated at $10,000-15,000, though the properties were insured. The fire department was hampered by short ladders unable to reach the upper floors and fought the blaze for over an hour before bringing it under control. Considerable damage was done to the stock and buildings of G. Mendel & Co. as well as neighboring businesses. The efforts of the firemen and the volunteers who helped save the buildings were praised. The police did an excellent job controlling the crowd and securing the scene.
To learn more: (https://tinyurl.com/5yjwdp4h) (History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and Representative Citizens (googleusercontent.com) (https://tinyurl.com/37ks63dt) (https://tinyurl.com/wajzt63b)