Mozart Park in Wheeling held its grand opening on October 25, 1893. The event was organized by the Mozart Singing Society and featured musical performances by local singers and Meister's band. Despite some technical issues with the incline railway that delayed the start, nearly 400 people attended the festivities. The park was decorated with flags, bunting, and greenery. The musical program, directed by Professor Herman Schockey, included choruses by the Mozart Society and solos by singers Flora Williams, Herman Steinman, Charles Zulauf, and Will B. Day. After the concert, dancing continued late into the evening. Food was provided by caterer Eberhard Hofreuter. The opening was deemed a success by the Mozart Society members. One amusing event was a footrace between Charles Hussemann and Squire Schultze down the hillside, won by Hussemann.
Mozart Park was built by businessman Henry Schmulbach. The park, located on the Frazier farm which Schmulbach purchased for $13,000, featured numerous attractions including a large dancing pavilion, casino, bowling alley, restaurant, outdoor stage, and bicycle track. Schmulbach hired Otto Kalkrueth to design the park and invested $100,000 to construct an inclined railway leading up the hillside to the park from 43rd and Wetzel Streets. This incline became a major attraction itself, carrying up to 1,200 passengers per hour. The park remained popular until it closed sometime between 1917 and 1918. (https://tinyurl.com/a355tu29) (https://tinyurl.com/3ts6yzk2) (https://tinyurl.com/4wfz8abb)