Mike Minder
Follow Mike Minder on:
  • Home
  • Mike Minder
  • Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976
    • Ohio Valley History Blog

Today in Wheeling History: April 23, 1887--E. J. Stone, Co-Founder of Stone & Thomas Department Stores, Dies at 67 on Wheeling Island

4/22/2024

0 Comments

 
​Today in Wheeling History: April 23--E. J. Stone, co-founder of Stone and Thomas department stores, passed away at his residence on Wheeling Island at the age of 67 (1887).
 
E.J. Stone, co-founder of Stone & Thomas department stores, passed away at his Wheeling Island residence on April 20, 1887, at the age of 67. Born in 1819 in Massachusetts, Stone moved to the Ohio Valley in 1838, initially working as a teacher and clerk. In 1844 or '45, Stone embarked in the coal trade with Jacob Thomas, traveling up and down the river while only being in Wheeling at intervals. In 1846, Stone permanently located in Wheeling, going into the dry goods store of Goodrich & Co. Later he was taken in as a partner but soon sold out. In September 1847, he partnered with Jacob Thomas to open a dry goods store in Wheeling, originally called "The Bee Hive," which later became the successful Stone & Thomas chain. Two years later, the firm crossed the street and occupied the same premises, doing a large retail business.
 
Stone married Elizabeth Thomas in 1846. She survived him along with seven of their ten children. Stone was active in the Methodist church, helping establish congregations in Wheeling like the Thompson M.E. Church on the Island. A savvy businessman, Stone met with great success, amassing a considerable fortune largely invested in real estate. He was the largest real estate holder in Wheeling in his time and erected many buildings. Stone was also a stockholder and director in numerous enterprises.
 
The Stone & Thomas department store chain expanded to 19 stores across West Virginia and nearby states. Known for being teenager-friendly, the chain faced declining profits in the 1990s. The chain, also known as "The People's Store," peaked at 21 locations before being sold to Elder-Beerman in 1998 for $38 million due to declining profits, with some locations sold to Peebles and Belk.
 
The former Stone & Thomas building in downtown Wheeling, West Virginia, has undergone transformations over the years. The Main Street side of the building houses the offices of the Williams Lea Group, a global business process outsourcing company that provides services related to marketing, communications, and document management. On the Market Street side, there is an Urgent Care Center offering prompt medical attention for non-life-threatening conditions. The building also includes apartment units, where residents live, enjoying the convenience of being in the heart of downtown Wheeling.
 
While the Stone & Thomas department store no longer exists, its legacy lives on through the memories of those who shopped and worked there. The Tea Room at the former Stone & Thomas store was a popular spot for breakfast and lunch, and it remains a cherished part of Wheeling's history. Overall, the Stone & Thomas building has transformed into a multifunctional space, combining offices, medical services, and residential living.
 
Other landmark locations have also been repurposed, such as the Huntington store becoming part of Marshall University. The former Charleston location, built in 1948 and vacant since the store moved to the Charleston Town Center mall in 1997, may be renovated by BridgeValley Community and Technical College for use as their Kanawha Valley campus.
 
To learn more: (https://tinyurl.com/39js5u87) (https://tinyurl.com/42ntsjjy) (https://tinyurl.com/3e3ma3en) (https://tinyurl.com/4prj6asd) (https://tinyurl.com/yw4ehr7y) (https://tinyurl.com/yn8k4vz6) (https://tinyurl.com/yy4jrfcy) (https://tinyurl.com/577588nj) (https://tinyurl.com/2rw9evj8)
 
Photo credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV; Wikipedia, Weelunk, Wheeling Register
Picture
0 Comments



Leave a Reply.

    Mike Minder

    Mike Minder was born and raised in Wheeling, West Virginia. He is the author of Wheeling's Gambling History to 1976.

    Archives

    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012

    Categories

    All
    1908
    Anthony Zambito
    Anti-Gambling Bill
    Arch Riley
    Casino
    Earl Corkran
    Edward Weith
    Eric Halverson
    Erics Steak House258a865f0a
    Gambling
    Gambling Devices
    Gambling Raids
    Gambling Stamp
    Gambling Stamps
    Henry Schmulbach
    Horserace
    Horse Racing
    Mozart Park
    October 252749dd659a51
    Ohio County
    Schmulbach
    Today-in-wheeling-history
    Tony Zambito
    West Virginia
    Wheeling
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History0d9acbcb79
    Wheelingaposs Gambling History To 197650ca476ed4
    Wheeling Park
    Wheeling Police
    Wheeling Repository
    Wheelings Gambling History60ad5e7d33
    Zambito

    RSS Feed

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.