Wheeling Mold & Foundry was founded in 1893 and specialized in glass molds and machinery as well as iron castings. The company grew rapidly due to its innovations in glass molding technology. In 1901, the company opened the Peninsula plant which produced chilled cast iron rolls supplied to mills nationwide. During WWI and WWII, the plants produced shells, tank parts, and other military equipment. The company was sold to Continental Roll & Steel in 1930 and then to Blaw-Knox in 1955. The plants produced steel mill equipment and tank parts during the postwar period before eventually closing in the 1980s and 90s. At its peak the company employed thousands across multiple plants in West Virginia and beyond.
To learn more: (https://tinyurl.com/59f9ku6f)
Photo Credits: Ohio County Public Library Archives, Wheeling WV